Monday, June 15, 2009

From Neil


I have been trying to think of some wonderful thing that happened this month, there was probably a bunch but I’m having a hard time remembering what they are. Oh, yes in addition to several birthdays Anna, Brandon’s wife, Sharon and Brian’s daughter-in-law graduated from BYU. Then last Saturday we got to be with Joshua in the Temple as he received his Endowment in preparation for his mission. This was a nice day and I felt pretty good about it all because I only made one mistake. For me that is good. Oh yes, I went to the doctor Monday, I think he told me that my body was wearing out but then I came home and got an uplift when I read in the paper that Senator Hatch and Senator Bennett are planning on running for an other term. Since they are near my age that gave me some kind of incentive.

Weather Report
The middle of April I got to shovel a foot of snow from my driveway and side walks. Then this Saturday and Sunday we got some more snow. Winter just does not want to leave us. In between storms Sharon planted my peas.

Story Time

The little Plymouth Coop
There are lots of stories that one could tell about trips from Myton to Altonah and Bluebell. We could talk about tire repairs, the cars and trucks that sound “a Whoo-ga” as they went around a bend, the ones that dropped tie rods and left you on the edge of a cliff and etc. But the one I want to talk about here is the little Plymouth Coop similar to the one pictured here. Yes I know the one pictured here is a Chevrolet but it will do for an example. As I recall there was this night that we had been to Altonah to visit our Grandparents and as the story unfolds it was after dark when we were going home. In this little coop was Mother, Dad, Claude, LaVora, Neil and Dewey. How did we all fit in this little car? Well, like sardines. We were at what we always called the waterfall hill where the class C canal used to fall from this hill to the land below. Now days this place is known as Sand Wash Reservoir. As Dad was making one of the bends and crossing the bridge he ran our little car off the road and there, thank heavens, it high centered or we may have rolled to the bottom of the hill. Well, there we were with two wheels over the side of the road and two wheels on the road. Dad tried and tried to get it back on the road and each time he tried Mother would stand on the running board that was on the up hill side. At the time I thought she was doing this, so if the car rolled she would go with Dad. Now I realize that she was trying to add her weight to the car to make it more stable as Dad tried to get it back on the road. After a while Dad would give up this effort to get the car back on the road and walked to a near by house knocked on the door and woke up the family and asked for help. The farmer was good enough to get his truck, with its “AWhoo-ga” horn and come and pull our car back on the road. We were able to continue our trip home with out any other mishap. Claude said “I kept eyes on the road the rest of the way home”. He said “Wilmer, in a playful gesture, put his hand, once, over my eyes. We were safe and a little bit wiser.

Love you,

Neil

Who is this?


What is this?

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a good idea! Thank you so much for doing the newsletter for as long as you have!! If this is easier for you, then I think we should totally do this! :P

    sus

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer Neils questions, I think picture is of Dewey and the stick is a slide rule.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had seen that picture at one time or another and was told it was Dewey. That is definitely a slide rule, just like the one I used to pull out of my dad's closet and play with. He tried to explain it once, but hey, we were already using computers at that point.

    Lyle

    ReplyDelete