Monday, April 5, 2010

Story Time Part I

Some things I remember

A Typical Farm Yard of the 20 s
A day on Grandfather and Grandmother’s farm went something like this. You were up early in the morning, I would guess around four or five. Then the first order of business was to put hay in the stalls for the cows and then to bring them into the stable where each cow was locked in what we called a stanchion. Then it was time to milk. It seems like there was around 12 to 14 or so cows to milk. There was this one old gal that liked to kick, so grandpa always milked her. I still recall the ritual he went through to get ready to milk her. He had a rope that he would put around one of her legs and then put the other end around a board on the side of the barn wall and pull her leg back and until it was about straight. Then he would sit down and milk her. Clyde and I, by time he was finished with her, had most all of the other cows milked. Once the milking was done there were the calves to feed and the milk to separate. Then once all the chores were done it was time to go to breakfast. It seemed like we always had to take some milk to the house. While we were taking care of the animals, grandmother was getting breakfast. As I recall there was always Milk, all-bran muffins, whole wheat or cracked wheat cereal, eggs and in grandpa’s house I’m not sure whether there was bacon or not. Then before we started to eat, we would all kneel and Grandfather would give the payer. Once when Uncle Boyd and I were staying at the old homestead when we were working on the sprinkler system at the Altonah Cemetery I remarked to Uncle Boyd how I liked to listen to Grandfather pray and I was trying to remember the word he used as he started the payer. Uncle Boyd said “I will never forget” Then he repeated the words “Our Father Who Dwells in the Heavens ----.”

No comments:

Post a Comment