Sunday, March 6, 2011

Story Time -- Something different - Food

By Neil R

During the time that I used to visit with my Uncle Lee when he was at the assisted living home in Bountiful I used to take with me the book “To My Children’s Children” and ask Uncle Lee the questions found in this book. I recall one day the questions were about food. When I asked him to tell me about the best meal he ever had he told me this story.

He had been up in the forest, with my mother and Dad, cutting, snaking and loading logs that were needed at the farm. Due to the fact that the length of time they were in the mountains exceeded their food supply they were without food for a day or so. As I recall Lee said Dad had bought a loaf of bread from some other loggers who was in the area. He said this was all the food they had for a day or so. He said the best meal that he ever had was the meal his mother had waiting for them when the got home.
I was just wondering, do you remember a best meal or do you have a favorite food?

Here are some I thought of:
As far as a favorite meal is concerned, it seems that I have had so many that they all kind of run together. Here however are a few of my favorite foods.
1) Grandmother Atta Murray’s carrot pudding.
2) The dry bean soup grandmother Atta Murray used to prepare
3) Mother’s and Ella’s rice and raisin pudding. I guess I remember Mother’s being so good because she was always able to make it with real cream
4) I still remember and like bread pudding.
5) Your cannot beat a good roast and mashed potatoes with lots of gravy.
6) I always liked Mother’s chicken dinners, you know like the one we took with us to Las Vegas
7) I never did like greasy food but I did like Katie’s soup.
8) I always liked “Murray style” milk toast. I must admit I never tried the Winkler or Rogers’ version. I will have to do that the next time I have some home made bread.
9) And Ice cream – The kind we used to make. I think the best part about this was getting the ice and turning the ice cream freezer.
10) The relish mother used to make. Help me find the recipe.
11) Bread and milk with honey.
12) Wilmer Murray style macaroni and cheese
13) Fresh cherries, watermelon, peaches, apricots, peas, corn on the cob, new potatoes and peas and etc.
14) And oh yes Home Made Bread right out of the oven with plenty of butter and honey
Any how I would be interested in your list. I would bet it is similar to mine.


Lavora, Darrell, and ice cream


John Tucker--Trout, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment