Sunday, March 6, 2011

Letter from Neil R

Dear Family February 22, 2011

Hi everyone, have you noticed? The days are getting longer. But then before you get too excited about spring and warm weather coming I have notice on the news where it is still 11 degrees below 0 in the Basin. I bet those living out there noticed. It brings back memories of the years we lived in Myton. I remember days of 40 below. I thought we had it bad until John Richards, Ella’s brother in law, told of the days he and his family lived in Myton. After listening to some of his experiences I decided that I had it good. When Ella and I was planning marriage her dad took the opportunity to tell her of a night he spent in Myton. I do remember there was a garage in town where they had a big stove that they kept a fire in all night and for a fee you could park your truck in that garage for the night. I guess George with several others had parked their trucks inside with the hopes that they would be better able to start them the next morning. George told Ella the next morning the only trucks that would start were the ones by the stove. They had to pull all of the others to get them started. You know, in the winter time each time I start my car, I think of my dad. He sure would have appreciated the cars of today where you just have to turn the engine over once and it starts. In that day, however, the ice skating was great. As I remember, on the old ox bows, it seemed you could skate for miles.

Since the big snow storm we had the last of December, up until now, it has been dry. The past week or two we have had one storm coming in after another. It looks like there are a few more lined up to come in this week. One good thing about snow storms this time of the year the snow soon melts. I hope this note finds everyone well and looking forward to a kite flying March.

Love,

Neil





It gets cold in the basin

No comments:

Post a Comment