Thursday, October 28, 2010

Story Time

Story Time


Some Things I remember September 12, 2010



This past month I have had the privilege of having member of Dewey and Beverly’s family pay me a visit. First it was Erricka and Bruce with their children Danelle and James. Then it was Tahnee with her room mate. While Bruce and Erricka were here Bruce wanted me to tell a story on Dewey that he could, after embellishing I’m sure tell their family about Dewey. My answer to this was of course Dewey was always a good boy who never gave anyone a hard time after all I’m sure Dewey could tell better stories about me so it is better not to start some thing that one could not finish. I did however tell Erricka and the children a few things that I remembers and I would like to tell one here that I’m sure Dewey after reading my account will want to finish it or tell the same story from his point of view. After all he experienced it.



There was one time in my working career that I drove a mail truck between Salt Lake and Vernal. On that route I had to stop at all post offices along the way. There were Park City, Heber City, Duchesne City, Myton City, Roosevelt City, Fort Duchesne, Gusher and Vernal. After I finished the run at Vernal I would pick up some empty bread cartons and return to Myton which finished my trip. On this particular morning when I pulled into the Myton Post Office and took what they called the Way Pouch into the Post Office some one said to me “How is your brother”. Now I had been on the road and in Salt Lake the day before and most of the current day and so, we did not have cell phones, had no contact at all with what had been taking place at home. So needles to say I just about panicked. To see what was going on, before leaving Myton, I made a quick trip over to the Seed Plant where mother and dad were working to see what was going on.



For some years now Dad had been first working for The Globe Seed and Feed Company and now Moody Brothers Seed Company as a seed broker. One of his responsibilities was managing what we referred to as the Seed Plant. Over these years it had provided first me then Dewey, then Jerry and I’m sure Darrell a job at the plant as mill operators.

At this particular time Dewey was running the mills during the night shift. I think his friend LeRoy Tehonie was keeping him company. The elevators in the upper story where the cleaner we called the clipper was located were run with one electric motor with a main belt to a shaft that had several wheels, one for each elevator, and belts from each shaft wheel to the elevators wheel. From time to time these belts would dry out and start to slip on the wheels. When this would happen we would climb a ladder to where we could reach the belt, with the system running, and apply some belt dressing. This was done with a tube, containing a dressing, about nine inches long and had a diameter of about one and one quarter inches and in a way operated like a ladies lip stick tube. That is as one use the material in the tube they could expose more by pushing the dressing up the tube.

This night Dewey making the determination that the belt needed some dressing was in the process of applying the dressing when some how, we assume, an article of his clothing got caught between the main wheel and the belt. This as I understand whipped Dewey up over the top of the wheel between the ceiling and the wheel and the slammed him to the floor below and this was not a short distance. This was what the people at the Post Office were referring to when they asked “How is your brother”. We were happy that LeRoy was with Dewey that night and was able to summon help. Over this event Dewey spent a few days in the hospital. He was probably very fortunate as I do not think there were any broken bones. Following this event all of us were much more careful when applying dressing to the belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment