Thursday, January 14, 2010

From Neil

Dear Family


It seems that interest in the news letter has dropped off, but since I have put the second part of my story together I thought I would send a copy. We had a good Thanksgiving, day and meal. By the time the day was over most of the family had been here. The 24th of November we had an addition to our family. Sharon and Brian's son, Brandon's wife gave birth to girl. She weighed six pounds and was nineteen inches long. Mother, daughter and Father are doing well. For now most of the family seems to be well. Me, I guess, like everyone else this time of the year, I'm working on getting ready for Christmas. It seems like we go along thinking it is a long way off but then all of a sudden here it is upon us. Then we run like mad to catch up. I understand LaVora had an enjoyable time in Arizona. At lest, for a while, she was where it was warm, but then all we need to do is wait a few months and it will be warm here too. Do take care and we will be in touch.


Love, Neil



Story Time - Water Storage



The farmers found that by selecting some of these larger lakes they could cut down into the natural dam, install a head gate and an outlet pipe and then by building the dam higher they had themselves a water storage area. Water stored in these lakes was held back for summer release.


My father, as I understand it, was the Foreman over the construction of one of these dams in what is known as the Timothy Basin. I also recall that Dad was what they called a power man. (This of course is another story) This area was known to me all of my life as the Timothy Lakes. I'm not sure how many summers, by this time; these men had been working on this dam. I can only assume that it was more than one. As mentioned earlier the lakes are within the wilderness area and there were no roads in the wilderness area so all of the equipment and supplies were taken in by pack horse. (Wrong! When riding with Uncle Boyd, to the Altonah Cemetery in 1998, he told me tales of himself driving a loaded wagon into the Timothy Basin, Anyhow -)


This one summer Father decided to take Mother and us kids with him. The kids at that time consisted of LaVora and me. It is unclear in my mind as to how long we were there but I would think that it was more than a month. When we left our place in Altonah we were on saddle horses and of course were leading some pack horses. I rode with Dad on his horse, old Herb. Dad had placed a pillow over the saddle horn and I sat in front of Dad on that pillow. LaVora, I assume, rode with mother. Where she was a little older she probably rode behind mother. At any rate this was our transportation to the Timothy Lakes, where we would make our home for the next while. I don't remember too much about the trip, only I do recall crossing some streams as we rode along. My folks tell me that by the time we got to our camp site I had worn a hole in the pillow where it had been rubbing against the saddle horn.


I have often wondered about Dad and Mother's farm. Like, who took care of it while we were gone? I can only guess that Grandfather, Grandmother and some of my Uncles and Aunts inherited the job. I can remember that Uncle Leland was at the camp with us. The farmers who owned a share of the water that was to come from the lake, furnished labor, equipment, horses etc. to pay their share of dam construction cost. I assume that this was one of the reasons why Dad, Lee and Boyd were there. Dad was working off his assessment and Lee and Boyd were working off Grandfathers assessment.


I can remember that while Mother was there she cooked for the crew of men that worked on the dam. She used what we called a camp stove. The stove was made of a light gage steel and its dimensions were some thing like 16 inches deep by 24 inches long and 12 inches high. It had a fire box and an oven. The stove was in the tent and the chimney went through, a metal support, in the top of the tent. Mother, among other things, would bake pies in the oven. We have a picture where the men are sitting in a circle eating their evening meal. I'm sitting at the right of my uncle Lee and LaVora is on his left. Dad is sitting across from us. I assume that mother is taking the picture. (Next month – Lost)



The Dam in 1943



Building The Dam in 1932


Dinner Time At Camp 1932

No comments:

Post a Comment