Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Story Time--Garbage

Story Time -- Garbage
By Neil R

It seems that the talk shows on radio spend a lot of time discussing School lunch programs and the unhealthy eating habits of our school children. While Jerry was here we also took the opportunity to discuss, from days gone by, our school lunch experiences. Now, myself I never did eat school lunch at the elementary nor do I remember what we did for lunch while we attended school at Las Vegas. We however, must have had a lunch period because I can remember the activities we had after lunch. Jerry, however, had lunch room experiences at Myton. As I recall after we returned form Las Vegas Dad worked out here on the front for about three years while the family continued to live in Myton. It seems that Mother either had the opportunity or took the opportunity to work in the lunch room and teach school. When mother taught it must have been the first grade because she got permission to take Jerry to school with her. Jerry was but five or less at the time. So, for how many years I don’t know, Jerry was under the watchful eye of his mother both when she was working in the lunch room and teaching in the school room. Now I know just a little bit about Jerry’s plight due to this situation because when I was in school at Myton Elementary my teachers were living at our house. This put me in an interesting situation where there was not a thing I could do without Mother knowing about it. This is the term my Mother always used on me “Neil, that does not become you”. Well back to Jerry, and we will just talk about the lunch room here and save the school room for another time. It seems in that day, even though they had wonderful food they still had the challenge of getting the children to eat their food. I guess it is because as children we let our eyes do the tasting. As a result a lot of the food ended up in the garbage can. Well it seems that mother would monitor what her son did or did not eat. According to Jerry, mother was continually sending him back to clean up his plate. Well, like I found in life, people, and in this case the children, soon came up with an innovative way to solve Jerry’s problem. One of Jerry’s friends, I guess it was a friend, said to Jerry “Put the food you do not want to eat on my plate”. This is what they did. The friend would discard the food in the garbage and walk out and Jerry with a clean tray would also be allowed to leave and I’m sure mother was really pleased with her son who no longer wasted any of his food.
Now just a little side note, in those days the food disposal unit, as we know it, had not as yet been invented and I’m not sure it’s invention was a good thing, but we did have a disposal available to us. It was called a pig. When mother was working at the lunch room, to help her, in the morning before school I would go to the lunch room and start the fires in the cook stoves and in the evening I would go to the lunch room and get the garbage can which was always full and bring it to our house. What would I do with it? I would feed it to our disposal unit. I must say that pig never did turn up its nose at this offering and he or her was a very healthy pig.


Dinner Time at the Murray’s


Our Disposal Unit

1 comment:

  1. Neil is right Ihad some good friends a the lunh room. After all we had to feed that pig.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete